There are many factors on which search engines weighs your websites before they start trusting it. If you read this article from a search engine’s point of view, you will understand how each factor is so important for the search engines that if these are ignored then search engines will be flooded with spam sites. Let’s see how many of these points are good with your blog.
- About us page – If you are serious about your blog then you might already have a about us page that explains enough about yourself and your blog. This page helps in branding and building natural links as well. Imagine some media guy lands on your blog and finds it interesting, you might actually get featured on Tv. or newspaper. Next, the media guys tries to find more about you and does not finds an about us page explaining more about yourself. What a turn off!
Anyways, from the search engine point of view, this page helps. The search engines wants genuine sites to rank high in serps and send traffic to them, and a site which does not have an about us page surely do not count much genuine.
- Domain expiration date – how serious are you about your blog? Certainly if you have a domain registered for another 10 years, atleast we know that it won’t get dropped very soon. The domain expiration date is a good enough factor for the search engines to know how much you care about your blog and how serious you are about it.
- Linking to good sites – Yes, outgoing links helps in seo too if it goes to good authority websites. So, link to sites which are authority in your niche and make the link dofollow.
- Having unique and updated content – Remember, content is king, one of the top slogans of the seo world and for good reasons, it is absolutely true. An updated blog is given a lot of value by search engines and the frequency of updating it matters too. So if you can consistently post more than one posts a day, it will surely help.
- Copyright and trademark – If you can manage a copyright or a trademark it will help you. Getting a trademark is not a big issue; however setting up a company for your blog might be a hard work. You must have noticed how Google and other search engines is pushing the value of brands in search results. You can take the benefit of it if your blog is a registered company.
- Incoming links from good sites – Cannot stress this point more, you know how much good links are valued. Just use your creativity to get some good links and see the difference in your blog.
- Avoiding bad neighbors – This is absolutely under your control, just stay away from bad sites, the adult/casino stuff, both incoming and outgoing links from these are bad. But it’s really bad if you link to them, so be careful.
- Good web hosting – am sure search engine as well as your visitors will hate a slow loading or non responding website. Some hosting companies surely have this problem because they provide limited CPU usage. So, even if you got loads of bandwidth and space, your website will still deliver 500 internal errors. In this case move to a better web host or perhaps consider getting a server for your blog.
- Activity – The number of comments a blog gets, the amount of feed subscribers etc. all counts as blog activity which helps in building search engine authority. I could not get the reference where I had read this, when I will get it, will add the link here.